View Single Post
Unread 08-06-2008, 04:53 AM   #2
blue68f100
Thermophile

Default Re: Snap 4500 Recovery

I think the HD it is installing on is failing/bad. When you get superblock errors these are normal bad, media failure where it is stored.

I would have pulled the HD's and ran Spinrite on them before attempting clean install.

I hope you do not need the data off at this point since you opted for a clean install.

What to do next.

Run spinrite and see what it finds.
Replace drive 1 and see if it will boot from drive 2.

A Plus side you have access to the recovery console, without this there is no way of installing the OS. unless you have another Guardian OS Unit. So do not do anything that will destroy drive 1 at this time unless you have another unit or a replacement HD with the OS installed.

Your OS is fairly new for an old unit. Is this an update that was applied later on? Most 4500 were shipped with v2 or 3 from Adaptec. The reason I ask is that there was a partition change from v2 to v3 if I recall, required more space.

What brand of HD are installed in the unit? Originals?

Being linux you can look at the HD's just not the raid5 partition. The Boot part is on a raid1 across all HD's. So removing drive 1 may be a good option. But give the watchdog time to respond. Also have you connected a null modem cable to the com port and monitored the boot process? Or is this where the log came from. Some times it will give you more information. And I assume you do not have a service contact other wise you would not be here.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote