View Single Post
Unread 01-06-2003, 04:08 PM   #43
gergregg
Cooling Neophyte

I've built something very similar over the past few months. I called mine snowflake because that is what the base resembled after my drilling and dremeling. What I did with my latest block was start with a piece of 3/8" stock for the base, which was drilled and dremeled to leave a 1/8” thick base plate. Then I cut out a 1 3/4" doughnut out of another piece of stock with a hole saw. I threaded the inside of the doughnut I just created to accept 3/8 MPT. After that I took a 2" copper cap and cut it to a 1/2" height and drilled and threaded a 3/8" hole to line up with the center threaded hole of the doughnut. I then drilled a 1/4" exit hole at the edge of the cap to thread in another barb. The exit barb had the threads cut so they barely made it through the copper cap. Now the nozzle could be constructed from a 1/2" by 3/8" MPT hose barb. I pressed a 1/4' brass plug into the inner diameter of the 3/8" barb and soldered it together. I then proceeded to drill 7 small holes in the plug to create a multi jet nozzle. I was finally ready for the final construction of the block. I took the doughnut and soldered it over the center of the base. I then took the copper cap with only the single outlet barb on it and proceeded to attach it to the base with solder and the barb to the cap with the same method. I used a scrap 3/8" fitting threaded through the hole in the cap and into the soldered doughnut to hold everything in position while doing the previous step. So I ended up with a radial type rotor design with an interchangeable nozzle.

My results were quite good. I was using a maze2 (which had been mounted and remounted numerous times) previously and my new block degreased my temps by almost 10 degrees C without changing anything else in my setup (setup consists of 1/2" fittings, chevette heater core w/ shroud and 63 cfm fans in a push/pull config, custom block, submerged maxijet 1200). My block currently sits about 10-11 degrees C above room temp at full load (xp1600+ @ 1833 default voltage). My temps are measured by the on die diode on my Epox, so they are probably decent.
Attached Images
File Type: gif untitled.gif (5.4 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by gergregg; 01-06-2003 at 05:12 PM.
gergregg is offline   Reply With Quote