View Single Post
Unread 09-03-2002, 01:47 PM   #1
V12|V12
Cooling Savant

Default New setup MASSIVEly High Temps!!!

Well I'm sitting here with my redone flow setup and newly made PCV Res...WTF! My idle temps are even HIGHER than with the old setup with the 2 90¡Æ bends! Being that my mobo's temp sensor is ****ed up and doesn't read below 40C...

XP1600+@1.764(10.5x168)/1.84Vcore = ~87.4watts
It's about 27.2C Ambient
Idle: 44.0C
Water in res: 36.0C
N-Bridge: 39.0C

Those are the IDLE temps!... Before, with the old "T-Res" setup I would stay around 40-42C@~30-32C Ambient! And max out around 44-45C avg...I'll do a 100% load test in the morning and hope that the sensor is ****ed or something... These temps are ridiculous!

11:38am--- What a NIGHTMARE!!!!!!! It's a blazing 30.8C Ambient in here and I'm IDLING at 48C according to this sensor! My water temps are ~ 39.6C I just don't know HTF my old system where it was:
Old-- Pump---(90¡Æbend)-->CPU--->(90¡Æbend)--Rad (Fan blowing in air)---"T-Res"---Pump
is killing this system:

New-- Pump--->Res(on top of case)--->Rad (Fan Pulling in air)--->CPU--->Pump

There's NO 90¡ÆBends in this system at all! Only 2 ~ 60¡Ætube bends from CPU---Pump and Rad---CPU... I'm getting tired of modding and modding just to end up with WORSE results from a seemlying (On paper and in theory) better setup! I just might have to throttle the jets back or go back to the old POS "T-Res" (NOOOooooooo!) Somebody help this fool!

Okay thinking rationally now... Here's what I think is the problem

1) With the old setup; I had a 92mm blow hole that didn't have a fan in it, which was a convienent, passive hot air outlet from my 350W PSU. The air coming out of this mofo was pretty darn hot! There are 2 92mm outlets in the rear, just below the PSU's 92mm intake fan(right above the CPU), Of which I had SEALED off with some cardboard and tape. So, with a 120mm--100+ CFM intake blowing in, and a 80mm PSU exhaust and 92mm exhausting the rest of the PSU's heat out the top of the case, there wasn't much air flow.

2) The new setup; I used the 92mm blow hole as a holder for my PVC-Res. The Via 1300 (DIE!) pumps directly up into it, then down (sloping) to the Rad, which now has the 120mm pulling in air, which directly cools the pump in front of it (where before the pump was at the back of the case with no real exposure to incoming air). I took off the tape for the 2-92mm holes at the back. I'm thinking that the hot air from the PSU's internal facing vents is heating up the already hot water from the CPU--->Pump--->Res, BUT the heat core should easily compensate for it, but I gues it's not?! Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that there's another 92mm hole on the side of the case, parallel to the CPU but it has no fan either (too much noise from the fans!)

Could it be that the PSU is heating up my res water, which is too hot for the Rad to handle? I wouldn't assume so, but that's NOT what the numbers are agreeing with (DAMN IT!) I'm thinking that I could cover up the vents and let the PSU's 80mm exhaust deal with the pressure build up of air that the interal 92mm it has, but I don't think it would last too long w/ just the 80mm? HELP!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redone flow+res_final.jpg (60.1 KB, 210 views)
--1/2" Vinyl tubes
--Via1300-Stealth Mod(QUIET!)
---Home made copper-tube block
---PVC small internal res
V12|V12 is offline   Reply With Quote