View Single Post
Unread 11-25-2005, 02:28 PM   #314
Incoherent
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldenton
hmm - just a (lateral) thought, but could you overcome this by using a spring to push upwards on the sensor in the vertical hole?
I don't think so. The problem isn't so much the sensor position itself, it's the position of the focus of measurement. Hard concept to get across, but in a vertical shaft you are measuring the temperature of the air (or whatever it is filled with) in the hole as well as the surrounding copper. The point within the sensor that the temperature reading represents is in an unknown location but in a horizontal hole it will be more sure that it is halfway between the top and the bottom of the horizontal hole (in terms of gradient) with the conditions in the Axis of interest (vertical) being the same, as opposed to the vertical one where the conditions up and down are totally different (copper one side, air (or whatever) on the other).

It is one of my concerns with the TTV which experiences a similar effect, but they are mitigated somewhat by a very concise description on how to affix the TC to ensure a good contact and thus ensure that the temperature measured is in fact the temperature at the point expected. I am reasonably happy with the TTV concept, although it is not the way I would have done it. In working with Intel I have found that they generally know what they are doing.
Incoherent is offline   Reply With Quote