View Single Post
Unread 06-25-2003, 12:04 PM   #226
Cossey3
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathar
http://www.employees.org/~slf/lrwb/

Good profit? Not even close.

The middle plate with the jet tubes takes almost 30 minutes of machine time. Polycarb is easy to machine, but we're using sub-mm cutters here, requiring over 4x the total bit travel distance as was in the White Water base-plate per pass. Can't cut as deep per pass, and the feed-rate is limited due to the tiny size of the cutters used. The middle plate is almost literally worth it's weight in gold.

The copper plate's holes are plunge milled (not drilled), and "pecking" is used to clear the swarf for each hole as the bit descends. The copper plate takes a significant amount of time to machine due to the number of holes, then its base is machined flat afterwards, and tapped.

In all, there's actually more machining time per block than was in the White Water's, and you'll notice that I'm selling the blocks for less this time.

They are easier for me to finish off ready to ship though, requiring less of my own time and equipment, but right now I have enough debt on this to buy a small car outright.

Put it this way. I make more (gross salary) in a month with my real job, than I would make in a year of selling these blocks. I'm just looking for the "break even" light at the end of the tunnel, and right now it's pretty damn far away.
£60 to the uk thats very good seeing as a maze 3 or 4 is £40 and the maze isnt half as good. i wonder whether auspost tip off customs for the vat like ups do.
Cossey3 is offline   Reply With Quote