View Single Post
Unread 09-25-2002, 12:29 PM   #27
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Ok, I'll bite. Why isn't it a good idea?

I hear you about the load balancing. That's my main issue with doing this, along with what happens if one of the PSUs go dead (as unlikely as it would be).

As for a load balancing circuit, my issue with that is:

a) it's almost the same as building a PSU from scratch (but hey, if that's what's needed...)

b) it would require higher voltage, in order for the output to be within the range that it needs to be. (it could be tweaked out of the PSUs).

I figure that if I pick the same model PSUs, that I tweak the output to match, as closely as is possible, I should be able to avoid having to put a load balancing circuit. However, it doesn't address the dead psu issue. If I add a diode at the output of each PSU, it should do the trick, but then I'm looking at tweaking up the outputs by 0.7 volts (see B)

As far as mounting goes, I don't have a solution yet. I only want one power cord coming out of the computer, so that could be a bit tricky. What I do know for sure, is that these cheap PSUs are going to get cut up, so that I can convert them to slimlines. I can put together some kind of alu rail-rack.

Aaaargh! I need a PSU diagram!
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote