View Single Post
Unread 08-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Default Re: Modify SCSI Backplane for SATA Drives

While my last message was coming from a bit irritated point of view (slamming the great people that are/were on this forum), this message is a genuine question. I do not mean to question you personaly or piss anyone off, but I do have a question I have to ask to make this make sense to me and maybe others.

Why? Beyond just the fun of doing some hardware hacking?

Why not a Guardian OS unit and an expansion like a Snap Disk 10 if you want more than 4 drives, or a Snap Disk 30 or S50 if you want more than 8 (or 12 if you use two Snap Disk 10s)?

If you you have to have SATA, then doing the SATA mod is easy enough, or there is always the 410, 520, and the Snap Disk 30 and S50 are already SATA. These units can be purchased fairly inexpensive these days.

Like I aid, I am NOT trying to offend you, I swear. Maybe I am just dense, but I somewhere missed the whole point of it all. The snaps I just mentioned would do everything you stated you wanted, except maybe to not use GOS. But, since GOS is by far the best file server OS going, it is hard to beat. I am just confused a little bit, please explain.

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

Drives from 250GB to 2TB (PATA, SATA, and SAS)

GOS v5.2.067

All subject to change, day by day......
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote