View Single Post
Unread 07-16-2003, 05:39 PM   #4
melvyn
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Zhentar
you call a 2000 RPM fan silent? you've been listening to too many deltas! if it weren't for my A/C running all the time, my 1500 RPM fan would be annoyingly loud......
That's exactly right! Compared to a system with a 7000rpm 60mm Delta and five 4000rpm 80mm Sunon's, it's silent. In a dead quiet room, the system generated noise would be noticable, and most likely fairly objectionable. However I don't have a dead quiet room, even in the middle of the night. The a/c is always on, and I have a large ceiling fan to keep air moving.

The noise level of a computer is relative to the ambient noise in the room. The only way I can keep room at a reasonable temperature is to have the a/c running almost all the time, which generates it's own noise - mostly the sound of moving air with a very low level mechanical hum. To strive for a totally silent system in this environment would be a pointless excercise, at least in my mind. Now, to make the system quieter so other ambient noises drown it out is a much more sensible goal.

There are still noise issues with the system - the power supply is now more noticable, and the hard drive whines a bit. The power supply is a 300 watt Antec (came with the case), and may just need a new fan. The hard drive, however, whines even when it's out of it's mounting and sitting on a block of foam. Short of replacing the hard drive, or investing in one of those silent drive enclosures, I have to live with the drive noise. In my mind, a little hard drive noise is nowhere near as bad as that 7000rpm Delta fan, so for now I have finished on my computer.
melvyn is offline   Reply With Quote