View Single Post
Unread 03-15-2004, 09:52 AM   #26
feathers
Cooling Neophyte

Uploaded for your viewing pleasure..

http://www.icetec-uk.com/icetec/temp/melted_3-1.htm

I've only recently switched to a new CPU and that was only ordered because I thought the 2.4ghz had been damaged by a Swiftech MCX4000 heatsink.

For your info:

The DD Maze 3-1 was melted on the day after Christmas. Didn't have a spare waterblock to replace it and so I had to fit a Thermalright SLK heatsink. Eventually I installed a Swiftech MCX4000 air heatsink to test with peltier. It worked upto a point but of course air-cooling of peltier isn't very good. While making adjustments to the MCX4000 it crushed the CPU and bent some of it's pins. After that the CPU didn't work. A replacement was ordered (3ghz HT 800) and when it arrived.. It too didn't work! Fault was traced to an incorrect setting in bios and so it transpired that both CPUs were working!

I put the new one up for sale on Ebay (cos I wasn't impressed by it's overclocking). Got to the last day of auction and then I cancelled and decided to give the new chip another try. Ran it for a week at 3.5ghz @ default core voltage and now it's been increased to 3.7ghz.

The old P4 2.4 is gathering dust. It's one tough little CPU and it's happy to run at 3.4 so long as it's kept cool.

The waterblock was melted by a 130 W peltier.

Now using a DD Maze 4-1.
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote