View Single Post
Unread 01-13-2006, 11:57 PM   #1
dgoodrich
Cooling Neophyte

Default Help! Japanese Dell 701n

I've been lurking here for a few days since I decided to buy a Snap Server. I bought a Dell Powervault 701n (which I understand is essentially a Snap Server 2000) on Ebay. I received the unit today, and it looks great, but unfortunately it turns out it a Japanese version. I will probably return it (since it wasn't advertised as a Japanese version), but I was hoping there would be a way to convert it to an english model. There isn't a way to change the language somehow is there?

I have been able to reset it to the factory configuration, and I can see two shares. It appears that everything is working as it should (if you could read Japanese).

Using the Assist utility, I tried to upgrade the OS to the latest version shown on the Dell site (3.4.790) in hopes that the upgrade would also change the language to English. Unfortunately, it won't accept the upgrade. Rereading the Dell site, I now see that the upgrade is only for 3.xxx to 3.4.790. My configuration is as follows:

Software 2.4.441
Hardware 2.0.0
Bios 2.0.282

Is there any hope that if I can find the right files to upgrade from 2.x to 3.x that the unit would then be in english, or should I just try to send it back? If there is hope, does anybody know where I could get the 2.x to 3.x sup file.

Thanks,
Dave
dgoodrich is offline   Reply With Quote