View Single Post
Unread 04-05-2004, 07:05 PM   #74
gruntledweasel
Cooling Neophyte

I happen to have page 5 of this thread from before the crash still open. I'll repost. I hope no one minds. Unfortunately, those spiffy diagrams of cup bases and discussions of such were on page 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathar
Yes, the challenge is truly in the machining. Can think up of whatever, it's making it that's the hard thing. The real challenge is in making machinable reality meet with superior performance design.

The jets are 0.95mm OD and 0.55mm ID.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man
what kind of machine are you using, an EDM??!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackeagle
Cathar,

I really like the idea of a modified Cascade with cup bases along the lines of what Murray 13 posted. But why not a cup that is a cross between Murray's fig. #1 and #3, a raised peak in the center, but with squared off base to wall like in the basic Cascade cups. It would seem to me that this would offer a greater surface area, but also a better impingement aginst the walls of the cup than what a curved base offers. I will grant the fully curved base of the cup may well offer lower flow resistence however.

Even a 1-1.5c gain over the SS Cascade would be a nice bit of work when considering how far you've pushed designs already.

I think you have little to feel humble for, without your White Water & Cascade designs I suspect we'd still be looking to the TC-4 as a top performer. The new Cascade XS should be very interesting. Congrats to you once again for pushing the boundrys ever farther, as I have full faith that the new base configuration is going to be another winning design for you.

I can forsee buying a Cascade XS from you if you offer them for sale. Please do offer them for sale, pleeease. And if offered only in Ag you shouldn't be as overwhelmed with orders for this design like with the Cu White Water and Cascade blocks. So the XS won't cut into your time for your familly.

Congrats once again, and I look forward very much to seeing the results of the alternative design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
Do not forget Volenti.
Would be perilous to overlook his min-channeled work.
Quote:
A CNC mill
Quote:
Now you are getting close to what I've drawn up for the second prototype.

The #2 proto block can be machined almost entirely with a 2.0mm mill bit for both the base and middle plates. If it works then total machine time will be cut roughly in half in comparison to a regular Cascade, for slightly better performance. Time will tell....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldenton
cheers - i think the colour jumps were throwing me..... so the (modelled) "h" for the 9fin/8channel block ranges from 50000 at 1 LPM to 130000 at 10 LPM ?
and the 25fin/24channel one from just over 90000 at 1 LPM to about 195000 at 10 LPM?
Yes and yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man
how are you managing cutting that lexan without snapping the jets, what kind of endmill you using?
Quote:
Didn't mean to slight anyone Les.

But I find the ideas being discussed regarding modifications to the base of the cups very interesting. Cathar has been working with the jet side of the Cascade design a good deal already, now he's starting to rethink the cups base design as well. A combination of the larger surface area in the cup bases and a optimised number of jets should prove to be of real interest as to how much more Cathar manages to squeeze out of ambient temp cooling. And I think that there may well be more to be found in the Cascades base, rather than to try to find ways to make the jets smaller, at the cost of machinability of the design.

I don't see how he can gain much more in actural temp improvements, but along with a extra 1-1.5c, the gains to O/Cs will be a better messure.

And if Cathar finds a new cup & jet balance that both improves performance even beyond the SS Cascade's while still being reasonablly machineable then Cathar will again be pushing the industry as a whole to improve it's product lines again, as thiers will be held up for comparrison with the top block known, the Cascade XS.

I just hope this time around the industry actually innovates, rather than just copy Cathar's work.
Quote:
This last portion of this post may be hope'n for a lot I know!
gruntledweasel is offline   Reply With Quote