View Single Post
Unread 05-27-2004, 04:46 PM   #167
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabo
About diameter of tubing...
... One thing to remeber though, flow characteristics move towards turbulent behaviour with increasing vessels diameter and velocity.
Hunh? If you increase the diameter the velocity goes down - unless you're also increasing flow.

Or are you saying that, for any pump, there is a diameter that is too large and that going over this limit will reduce flow?
This is a new one for me.
I would have guessed that if I'd set up an experiment with a pump and a number of pieces of tubing, all the same length and material (so same water-to-solid friction) but different IDs, and I measured flow rate through them that I would see (smaller ID to larger ID) either no change (point of diminishing returns already reached) or lower rate to higher rate, with at some point, there being no difference in flow associated with increased ID.
I understand about stall behavior in wings, but the issue there is keeping the base layer firmly "stuck" to the wing surface so as to use the coanda effect. I'm having trouble seeing that the same applies to tubing. Got some web references?
Bob
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote