View Single Post
Unread 05-07-2005, 02:50 AM   #8
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy_EK
The idea for GF6800 WB came itself.
I like GeForces because of one-side placed rams and therefore I find it easyer to construct and make WB to cover the rams.
I got the inovatek WB few days ago in my hands and I took the distances between holes for mounting the WB.
The concept of WB is that where the high preformance coling isn't needed (rams) I will use aluminium. And for GPU processor I will use copper. The combination of material is mostly for the weight reduction and easier to work with.
The aluminium part of the WB is (will be) eloxed, therefore there will bo no conflicts with copper. The silicon gasket is used for sealing between copper and aluminium. It is resistant on temperatures till 250°C.
The block weights 405 g.

Any comments...
It looks like an excellent engineering AND machining job! I was always wondering about the precision of the design necessary to make a perfect contact with both GPU and memory at the same time.

About the copper GPU cooling part...I was using the same pattern of channels in my previous project, pretty long ago (see the attachment). Of course, it is more efficient when the water enters the grooves vertically, but I suppose that could not be easily achieved in this case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WB_16.jpg (53.1 KB, 85 views)
tex707 is offline   Reply With Quote