View Single Post
Unread 07-01-2004, 11:11 AM   #212
Pug
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldenton
hmm - would they not come under 9993.00.00 ?(as long as you're going to send them back within 18 months - or indeed send them anywhere outside canada...)
It's a possibility Paul, thanks for looking.
Here's another category I found which might be applicable

9988.00.00 Apparatus, utensils, instruments and parts thereof, other than goods of Chapter 70, when to be employed:

(a) directly in teaching or research by
(iii) any non-governmental organization incorporated or established in Canada solely for educational purposes or solely for the purpose of carrying out research designed to benefit the public at large, if carrying out its objectives without pecuniary return to its members or shareholders other than as salaries or fees for duties performed or as reimbursement of expenses incurred

Sure sounds like ProCooling to me.

pHaestus - thanks. I'll probably end up paying somewhere in excess of that to get it to you in the first place but it's all in the interests of awareness-raising and removal of the amount of doubt and hypothesis that goes on around and about.
Look forward to your findings.

Slater - High flow kit? Come on... High velocity, maybe.
10mm ID & under is my domain. You guys with your 1/2" and 3/4" setups are the high flow lot.

The kit in question may as well be the CustomPC one, as although there are variations of it, it's nicely balanced as it is.

Contents as follows:-
1x Black Ice Xtreme II radiator - these are a new version that I've hardly seen about which have G1/4 threaded connections for interchangeable fittings
2x Papst 4412F/2GML 120mm fan - these are (typically ) now being phased out by Papst, so instead of supplying these - we'll be supplying 2x Papst 4412F/2GL 120mm fans with the retail kit instead (with the option to upgrade free-of-charge from my own personal stash of F/2GMLs on request while stocks last). As BillA requested our "silent" kit, I'll leave it as GLs for this test and hope that if he can front the requisite two 120mm fan rad, pH could swap & test the fan options more easily between the two.
2x 12v/7v adapter cable (for optional use)
1x AP1500 pump (consisting of an AP900 and the 12-24V variable transformer module) was included just to help edge us further ahead of the competition in the magazine article (the increased noise of the pump at 24Volt is hardly worth the degree or two it affords but many people will find they can select the appropriate voltage setting to trade off performance against acceptable noise level 12v/15v/18v/21v/24v selectable)
- together with this, there's a velcro pad for pump mounting and an ATX jumper block (which is like the mobo socket but with the green bridge wire for 12v pump priming independent of the mobo being powered)
1 x Cape Coolplex 25 external reservoir - basically a perspex cylinder res with a couple of one-screw mounting rings
4metres 10/8mm clear polyurethane (PUR) tubing - I'm tempted to offer a substitution on this of the 10/7mm PUR PE (polyurethane polyether) stuff I'm using in my ClearPC but am still testing it right now
10mm Ni-brass plugin/pushfit fittings throughout
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Interface Material. I guess you'll be using the testing version of this anyway, so I can send it with or without this.
500ml Tec Ice Protect pre-mixed coolant
and king of the show... the NexXxoS XP block [the Silver (Ni-plated) version] (unless you want to cover the shipping instead of me and then I'll send you my own gold plated version )
complete with appropriate hex key for installation of same.

At the end of the day - I make my choice at a balance of performance, usability and lesser restriction to internal airflow (which is something a lot of people forget about when selecting their oversize tubing).
Uninhibited radiator airflow is easily as important than coolant flow rate to me (but weighed up against silence to give an efficient all round system which suits most users' needs, whichever their preference).

BillA - Long term reliability is our design brief. Installation convenience is all very well for those who just want to deal with "bolt-on" parts but we're catering more specifically to the slightly more dedicated enthusiast market here, so those that don't mind a bit of jigsaw/dremel work will be more of our target demographic.
With that said, if you can fit the rad, you've done the hardest part. :shrug:

In closing, I'd like to publicly extend my personal thanks, gratitude & appreciation to Taner DeMirci and alphacool.de for backing me in this and other testing ventures, without whom, this could well have been less likely if not impossible to arrange.