View Single Post
Unread 07-02-2004, 07:58 AM   #235
Pug
Cooling Neophyte

Cathar - Do you have anything positive to add to this thread instead of your misinformed whinge/rant?

You are wrong on so many counts, it might be funny if you weren't so serious about it.

I'll leave the majority of the egg on your face for now and just let you read back through the whole thread to realise some of your mistakes but I will pull you up on a couple of points.

The challenge itself -
I was fed up of going around minding my own business (literally), trying to help people make an educated and informed choice with their watercooling setup, only to be trashed by words like "don't buy that German stuff, it's crap".
^^^ Now that was an actual quote from a ProForum member on another forum, in the actual thread that prompted nightic to compose this thread in the first place (before he emailed me to inform me that he'd asked for you guys' opinion too.)
I come into the thread to find you and BillA warbling on about how US systems are performance-oriented and all German systems merely adequate.
Well, helllloooo? Welcome to 2004... lift the veil of ignorance and come on in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathar
The Black Ice Xtreme II radiators that Pug included were made primarily for the US high-flow style market.
In case you weren't aware, the rad in the kit was commissioned by a German firm who recognised that barbs as used by the majority of the US systems I've seen (and permanently attached to the US version of this rad) are both inefficient and dated by way of a PC watercooling standpoint. Rather than using a proprietary system, as others have done, they chose to have it threaded for interchangeable fittings to increase compatibility for those who wish to mix & match or even upgrade their system partially if they can't afford to do it all at once - an approach I personally have a lot more respect for (as an end user and mentor to others) than the alternatives.

I'll agree that most well known German systems have, until recently been based around a continuous tube radiator - but it's usually a 240 or 360 with the smaller pump, while US systems usually tend to comprise of a single 120mm fan rad & shroud with a hefty pump {as with the Danger Den system proposed by Paul (Coolmiester) and BillA's Swiftech offering}.
There's not a lot in it at normal every day real-world use, in fact, the APE 360 in my own ClearPC in conjunction with the 12V AP900 and "typically restrictive reservoir" probably outperforms the BIXII and AP1500 anyway - as would the HTF triple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathar
Crap, I'd use that pump if I could. I think many US people would be more than happy to use that pump. When over-volted as planned, it'd be more powerful than a Danner Mag 3, or a Laing D4.
I'm glad you like the AP1500 but you don't seem to realise quite what it is when you speak of overvolting it further. The info is around (even in this very thread) if you care to read for it properly.
This kit was aimed to offer the best cross-section of performance & silence in one package - it's adjustable to boot so if, like me, you want to be able to use your overclocked computer in silence six days a week and be able to cope with any fluctuations the weather might throw at you or run a mad overclock for a LAN party - you have it.
I personally run the AP900 (which is the exact equivalent of running the AP1500 at its base 12V setting) and would never advocate people running at 24V unless they have a particularly well soundproofed case and/or don't mind the noise produced. There really isn't a lot in it - you'd be better off tweaking it to a satisfactory noise level (at whatever voltage that is) and then selecting fans to match that acceptable noise threshold.
The pump in its un-overvolted state is very similar in its flow characteristics to the 1048 we all know & love... it's just that with the step up transformer we also give you the wherewithal to "overclock" it out of the box, as you see fit to suit your needs & system requirements.
It's futureproof in this way and fun to mess about with too, I don't understand your problem with that.

All the parts in the kit are as German in origin as Swiftech & Danger Den's offerings are American - it's the German version of the BIX, in contrast to the Swiftech & Danger Den versions. The German blocks are there too, with their small ID fittings... If it would make you happier, I can supply the 7mm ID hose that I personally use instead of my "high-flow" 8mm ID.
The minimum ID of the fittings is 7mm anyway - If I put these on your block for a comparitive test, you'd moan like f$ck that we were hamstringing it!!

It seems to me that you yourself must have some ulterior motives behind your posts - I don't have time to dignify them with much of a response other than what I've already said and I haven't changed my tune since I came into this thread - read my posts and see (and thanks Chew Toy, I can see that you have done so ).

I could just send a block... but what's that going to show if people can't see that it's the parts that make a whole.
With this kit, I can show you a balanced system that would outperform a badly designed Cascade XXX rig any day of the week, no matter what either block can do on its own under lab conditions.
Even if you can't open your own eyes to this, there's no need to hold your hands over everyone else's (in the interests of your own "admittedly somewhat ego-centric point-of-view").

Now if you'll excuse me, I have customers to support.
Please keep your points valid and research your arguments further to save wasting both my time & theirs.
Thanks in advance.

Pug.
Owner: WizD