View Single Post
Unread 03-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Harbinger
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: SnapServer 18000 Questions

blue68F100, willPower--

Thanks for the responses. They bring up a couple of questions...

1) I emailed Overland and got a quote for updating the OS. The 18000 currently has eight 250GB drives in it, and I wanted to upgrade them to 1 or 2TB drives. I understand the later OS upgrades can handle the larger drives. Would the best course of action be to acquire/apply the OS upgrade, then remove all drives except one and place one of my new drives in slot 2 for an OS copy? Then I imagine I'd remove that one original drive, install the remaining 7 new drives, and let the OS copy to all of them before rebuilding the RAID?

2) I was looking at some docs for the 18000 and saw the NVRAM card mentioned. If the OS is on the drives, what gets stored to the NVRAM card? If the batteries indeed fail when power is removed (I'll be moving the unit from a rack on the computer floor to my office for the OS upgrades, et cetera), how will that affect the server and my upgrade process? I was wondering if it'll be possible to just put new batteries on that card myself. I have the electronics repair skills...but if I can't change the batts, then I'll be contacting you for another card, willPower.

It would be a good idea to write up the procedure for hard drive/OS swaps. I'm sure over time that others will have the same question.
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote