View Single Post
Unread 02-27-2004, 11:12 AM   #70
comiston
Cooling Neophyte

How to Upgrade harddisk in Snapserver 1000

Ye recipe -
First backup all contents - this method destroys all data !!
Make a byte for byte image of existing disk with utility in winhex or g4u ( copydisk ) to put image of existing disk onto new larger harddrive .
Install the new harddrive physically back into the server and reattach to network.
At this point the harddrive should function normally but will only accomodate the same amount of data as the original .
To update the software to take account of new harddrive size -
Enter into http://"snapserver ip"/config/debug
type into command line " config devices format 10000 /reinit "
Reboot and be patient - it can take a long time to format a large drive .
If this command fails then double check the logical id of your drive is 10000 ( mine is ) by typing " config devices info "

Have upgraded using this method from 20gig to 40gig to 120gig
also downgraded from 20gig to 8gig ( just to experiment )

Pass this knowledge on as it is certainly not widely available . Comiston

Quote:
Originally Posted by meswartz
I encountered Joe's article on hacking a Quantum Snap Server 2000 < http://www.procooling.com/articles/h...oe___10_.shtml > while looking into the possibility of doing the same to my model 1000. A cynic (which I am not) would point out that happily it's a pretty modest hack: Joe took out the old Western Digital 7 Gb drives, dropped in new WD 40 Gb units, booted the box (which runs Linux in flash) and it just took off, formatted the new drives automagically, and said "fill 'er up, boss!" A nice piece of robust engineering, and an interesting bit of investigation on Joe's part.

Looks like My Mileage Does Vary, though. My model 1000 is not NEARLY as accommodating. I tried replacing the original Quantum Fireball CX (10Gb) with a Western Digital Caviar 30Gb I had on hand. No joy: system wakes up OK but lapses into a 1-sec LED blink that means entering (but not =IN=) maintenance mode. Tried all the reasonable and unreasonable jumper settings on the drive: same result. Tried updating the flash software from v2.1 to v3.1, which gets me FTP server capability among other things, but no improvement on the disk situation. Tried slapping an ancient Quantum ProDrive LPS (with a staggering 340 Mb) just to see if it liked the flavor of a Quantum drive better. Nope.

Joe indicates that three other folks have attempted an upgrade to a model 1000 with similar dismal outcome. Has anybody out there tried it and succeeded? Any references to other hack sites covering this?
comiston is offline   Reply With Quote