View Single Post
Unread 03-13-2005, 05:27 PM   #1
|kbn|
Cooling Savant

Default Simple GPU block - improvements?

As I now have a x850XTPE I thought Id watercool my gpu again
Ive done two simple GPU block before. The first was very simple, cut up T reducer pipe soldered to a base - resonable performance for the price/effort it took.

The next was just modified.. and it killed all flow in my system.. probably one of the mot restrictive blocks ever made (less than 10mm2 cross sectional area).

I will be using the same top as before, as shown in the first attached pic.

I have decided to use a middle plate, essentially just a copper frame... the middle is cut out (20*40mm). It is 4mm thick. This gives me 20*4 = 80mm2 cross section, so there hould be little restriction (the barbs are 11mm ID which is a bigger restriction). The middle plate was not cut from stock, but instead sintered.. because im lazy

The base, so far, is flat - well no .. its not...it needs a lot of lapping.... - but its size is:
60*38*4.8mm

I am thinking of making quite shallow (maybe 2 or 3 mm deep) holes in the wet side, but I wont want to waste effort if you all think it wont help atall. So thats the point in this thread.

Alternativly I have the option of using the base in the second pic.
It is made of silver, at the thinnest point in the channels about 2.5mm thick. The problem with this, is I dont think much moving water will enter the very small channels becuase they are restrictive (<10mm2 C.S.A) and the conduction of copper is better than water..
If I use this, then the only differnce from my second block attempt will be the 4mm midleplate to make it less restrictive.

Block will all be soldered together hopefully tomorrow.. and I will do some flow rate testing with it (not pro/c standards... but then I dont have £80 for a proper flowmeter.. suggestions welcomed though )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gputest.JPG (45.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg gpubase.JPG (50.6 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by |kbn|; 03-13-2005 at 05:46 PM.
|kbn| is offline   Reply With Quote