View Single Post
Unread 09-08-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
Lope
Cooling Neophyte

Default Planning to build a new radiator

(I've posted pics of my rig on another thread here recently if anyone wants to see em.)

Since i have to overhaul the cooling loop of my system, i think its a good opportunity for me to sort out my radiator. I have a love'hate relationship with my PC because its so darn heavy. The current radiator weighs about 20KG.
I first built it when i didn't have much experience with heat exchange type stuff.

So i'm planning on building a little copper one to replace it.
its gonna be 8 0.55mm thick copper plates 160mmx200mm and 8 230mm long 15mm copper pipes.

i've calculated it to weigh about 1.6 KG (for the copper) and i'll use plastic pipes and J clips to join the copper pipes together as with the last radiator.
basically, what i'm going for here is better conduction, and more airflow.
with a 120mm fan on 5V i wont be able to hear it when its on the floor, and it'll probably outperform my current radiator.
(i plan to mount it vertically to take advantage of some convection)

Hopefully I'll find 12.7mm copper pipe (which i have a pipe bender for) or i'll find a reasonably priced 15mm pipe bender, but i'm fine with doing the plastic pipe method too.
the reason why the plates are only gonna be 200mm long is mainly because i dont want the whole thing to be any taller than my PC.
Its also possible that i could go for copper elbows, but i'm not so into the idea of all that soldering.

anyway, so while i contemplate that stuff this weekend, i'm also considering using a heatercore. only problem is i dont think they are well suited to low airflow.

btw the plates and pipes of the rad i'm describing have a total area of 0.59 M^2
Attached Images
File Type: gif pic.GIF (1.8 KB, 13 views)
Lope is offline   Reply With Quote