View Single Post
Unread 11-06-2002, 02:59 PM   #160
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally posted by Ion
If you for some reason had to do this block in aluminium, how much would that lower the performance? I mean the original design now, not nozzled.
Could you see it on one of those nice graphs, and would you make the base even thinner?
Thanks.
According to my sims, an ally block would be worse by around 2.5-3C no matter if it were nozzled or not for a ~80W heat load.

The production block that's currently selling differs quite substantially (relatively speaking) in dimensions from the prototype that's shown here. The base is even thinner and the channel heights are changed.

Les's graphs are an excellent resource. I'm not quite sure what's going on though. I stepped through a range of base thicknesses with real blocks in 0.1mm steps, and while I don't have the most accurate test equipment in the world I was able to see significantly more optimistic results for thin bases than what Les is predicting.

I don't know. Maybe `h' is higher in reality by around 20% or so. I imagine it gets pretty hard to model "furniture" in an impingement scenario.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote