View Single Post
Unread 09-25-2009, 12:27 AM   #5
billbartuska
Cooling Savant

Default Re: First w/c setup - Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkon View Post
Thanks for your quick responses guys!

@billbartuska :-

I have a Physics degree and am a reasonably experienced air O/Cer - it's just that there's such a range of components on offer, so many permutations possible, and I wanted to get this right "first time" from getting advice from ppl who have done this before - rather than find out the hard way and destroy expensive equipment (I have a budget too!), or at the very least waste money on components that don't fit together.

Typically, your third build will be where you get what you started out to do

>> High performance water cooling and silence are mutually exclusive concepts.
See my point/question above... I guess I should have said I wanted a hybrid system with the flexibility to tune the noise levels...

I'm thinking you're going to have multiple rads with high CFM fans on rheostats

Can you name some of the good quiet pumps you mention? That would be v useful, thanks.

I've used an Eheim 1048 and found it to be near silent.

Doesn't the Cosmos case at least have two holes for the tubing to exit the back of the system? I'm up for drilling a couple of holes though...
What case would you recommend for my needs (that's sweet as well!)?

Lian Li

>> I prefer a T-line. It's much less hastle to install and, though slower for bleeding air out, you only do that infrequently.

Thanks. I also read that you get better flow not using a res - as the pump doesn't have to accelerate static water in a (semi-)closed system.

No matter what you put in the system, the potential energy of the water is the same. Gravity has no effect either.

I was kinda hoping I could power the pump from the ATX PSU - although admittedly I haven't actually looked at the ratings of the pumps! (Might require too much current on a single rail...)

No, a lot of people (I'd even say most) power their pumps off of their power supplies. You just have to account for the extra load of the pump whan yoy spec the PSU. Note that the Eheim 1048 in a 110v pump, as are some of the others used in WCing

Do you power your pump from an external source then?

Well, yes. I've used the aformentioned Ehein and an Iwaki MD20-RZT (NOT QUIET!) and both wwere 110v pumps. Kind of simplifies things.

When I was overclocking I powered the motherboard (CPU, Video cards and memory) off of a 1000 watt PSU and everything else (HDDs, fans, temp sensors, etc. off of a 700 watt PSU)

Bypass loops - great tip. Can you recommend any valves for this purpose?

Well, since the largest tubing typically used in WCing is ½" ID, a PVC, 3/4", full flow ball valve works fine.

By the way, copper, 3/4", long radius ells make nice 90° bends. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5P089

And 1/2" or 3/4" returns are great for watercooled crossfire or SLI video cards
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5P139

>> A for liquid in the loop, distilled water and a bioside ---ONLY!
Oh... I've heard people put anti-corrosion agents (like coolant/antifreeze) in there as well. What's the problem with mixing a biocide as well? Don't you also want agents in the liquid to stop galvanic corrosion?

Don't put any parts that are not plastic or copper in contact with the water and corossion isn't an issue.

So when you want to seat the CPU block on the CPU, do you have to turn your system flat on its side so the motherboard is horizontal? Won't this cause a leak from somewhere? (This is my most feared part of w/c!)

Leaks are over rated. If you're the least bit mechanically inclind the worst you'll get is a slow drip
You may also find some help on quiet here.
SilentPC

Hope that helps.
Two Opticals and 120 gigs (w/28gigs in RAID0) on 4 Maxstors

Last edited by billbartuska; 09-25-2009 at 12:52 AM.
billbartuska is offline   Reply With Quote