View Single Post
Unread 12-15-2002, 09:30 PM   #6
Mr. Baz
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by bowman1964
I AM GOING TO ONLY REPLY ONE TIME TO THIS.
NO WHERE DID I SAY I KNEW THE ENTIRE REFRIDGERANTION FIELD.BUT I HAVE OVER 20 YEARS IN DEALING WITH IT ....HOW MANY YEARS HAVE YOU?
I THOUGHT NOT.
BECAUSE I HAVE 20 YEARS IN THE AC AND MECHANICAL FIELD I NEVER SAID I KNOW IT ALL ..AND I NEVER WILL. BECAUSE I WILL ALWAYS CONTINUE TO LEARN UNTIL I AM PUT IN THE GROUND AND BURIED.
THESE ATTACKS ON PEOPLE FOR NO REASON MUST STOP.GROW UP AND REALIZE YOU STILL CAN LEARN FROM OTHERS.

NOW WE NEED TO GET BACK TO THE FORUM AND HELP PEOPLE NOT CRITICISE THEM.THIS DOES NOTHING TO HELP PEOPLE TO LEARN BUT DOES THE OPPOSITE.AND RUN PEOPLE OFF THE FORUMS BECAUSE THEY ARE SCARED TO ASK A QUESTION WITHOUT SOMEONE JUMPING ALL OVER THEM.
Geez dude. Settle down. And what's with the all caps? I didn't read it as a direct attack on you...it sounded sarcastic. Most people in their respective fields feel they know more than the person next to them because they have more "experience" in that area. Let me be the one to say experience does NOT equal knowledge. I work in the computer/technical/networking arena. There are people that have been working it for 20+yrs and still don't know as much as I know....and I've only been in it for maybe 1/4 the amount of time.

BACK ON TOPIC>>

You can use just about any refrigerant....but you'll have some problems there.
By law, most places will only sell R22, R404, R502, R12, to licensed individuals. This means you will either have to obtain a license through your state, or just use a refrigerant that is readily availabe and cheap. Some people still have R12; R134 can be purchased anywhere, and R290 is cheap and it's EVERYWHERE. It works great too. It has the same boiling temp (roughly) -42*F or R22, but not as good a heat capacity.
For a hobbyist use, I would recommend you use R290 first. Get yourself acqainted with refrigeration first and familurize yourself with it. After a lot of practice, and you think you're comfortable with it, then venture into using different refrigerants. By then, you will know enough to safely experiment on your own, and not spend so much time asking questions on forums.
Mr. Baz is offline   Reply With Quote