View Single Post
Unread 03-29-2003, 09:02 AM   #61
Graystar

Quote:
Originally posted by MadDogMe
I think you're overly hung up on the max efficiency thing GS, it's more important to remove more units of heat than remove it at a certain temp. The extra distance heat has to travel is tiny and is greatly offset by having double the surface area(assuming a square shaped channel, more if deeper) for convection to happen...
You say "greatly offset" but I don't see the numbers demonstrating that. It could very well be. I tend not to believe anything until I see the numbers.

Quote:
Originally posted by MadDogMe The drag is neglegable, what difference is there between it and that caused by cross scored 'turbulance' marks?...[/b]
The difference is that the drag is on a laminar flow pattern. It cannot be compared to a turbulent flow pattern.

Quote:
Originally posted by MadDogMe PS, have you measured the cross~sectional area of your blocks water channel?, how does it compare to the barb sizes or tube inner diametre?. If it's bigger you'll get a pressure drop, if smaller you'll cause resistance but boost velocity, have you thought about tweaking it to match your pumps power?... [/b]
The tubing is .375" OD with a .035" wall. The channel is .375" x .043". The area of the tube works out to .07306 sq. in. and the area of the channel is .016125 sq. in. So the area of the channel is only 22% of the area of the tubing, or a ratio of 4.53 to 1.

What exactly does it mean to tweak it to match the pump power? How do you do that? Is there a formula?
Graystar is offline   Reply With Quote