View Single Post
Unread 03-28-2005, 07:01 PM   #187
maxSaleen
Cooling Savant

Quote:
As was mentioned by someone earlier, PSU noise levels get in the way of real silence, as unless you wish to spend a couple hundered on a NO noise & lower performance PSU, you'll not be buying such a PSU.
I have a problem with this statement. I have a Tagan PSU in one of my PCs and cannot sing enough praise about it. It is VERY quiet; inaudible from a distance greater than 1'. It also performs very well. To say that having a high performing PSU with a low noise signature is impossible is to not have complete knowledge of the market. Think about it this way: the Tagan PSU with a 280w load (an acceptable load for a high end PC) will be about 70% efficient. Let's say that the PSU has a heat dump of 50w. This is distributed evenly over a large heatsink. By just guestimating, one can see that 15-20cfm of airflow is more than adequate to keep the PSU cool.

I have to agree, though, that an external solution would be much more efficient. It would also be much simpler for the end user. OEMs, however, seem to be weary of external solutions. The few that have been used (Voodoo/swiftech, falconnw/unknown, velocity micro/in house) have all been internal solutions.
maxSaleen is offline   Reply With Quote