View Single Post
Unread 03-29-2005, 01:43 AM   #196
Cathar
Thermophile

I really tried to just ignore some of the above statements, but this one really stuck in my throat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackeagle
Such extremes, in silence or extreme speed are just ego trips. But then ego is what often leads to extremism in the first place.
Forgive me, but I utterly fail to see how lowering the noise-level of one's computer for personal reasons is an ego trip, especially in terms of an "ego trip" in the same category as a published 3DMark/SuperPi score for all to see and extend one's e-penis over.

Heck, it's not like there's a SilenceMark2005 score that we can all publically rank our systems with. The pursuit of silencing a PC is very much a personal endeavour centered around what is important to the individual and how it impacts their very localised enjoyment of their computer.

If you think that 34dB(A) is quiet enough for everyone, and anyone seeking less noise is just on some sort of ego trip, then I would suggest that such is a position of extreme arrogance, intolerance, and ignorance. Sorry to be so blunt about it.

Now if you were to argue that this thread has gotten off track from the original post, fine. We'll create another thread specifically regarding the optimisation of radiators for in-case near-silence computing. When we're done, one day you might like to look in and try and experience for yourself what we're trying to achieve here, then go back to a noisy computer and see how you feel about it.

The thing I find with silent vs noisy computers is that quite often people will just grow tolerant of the noise level of their PC and think nothing of it, and think all those who want less noise are just crazy people. To such people, I would if possible sit them next to a well setup "quiet" PC for a week, and then send them back to their old PC and ask then if they still feel the same way.

Eccentric and individual to one's tastes? Maybe. Egotistical? Way off base.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote