View Single Post
Unread 03-31-2003, 05:13 PM   #88
Cova
Cooling Savant

Not sure if it's any help to you, but if you want them I can take pictures of the innards of various Compaq/HP servers here at work. We just got a ML350 G3 about a month ago, and though we only have a single PSU in that one (it's a development server) it supports dual-redundant and will have the PCU-load-balancing PCB in it. I also have very good access to a pair of DL380 G3's (both dual-PSU-capable) right now as I'm right in the middle of testing some stuff on them and I'm the only person using them (so I can power them off whenever I want to open them up).

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet, but one thing to consider is that many ATX PSU's require a load on most (all?) of their voltage lines before they will output a proper voltage. (I think this is what murray13 was getting at in his last post). Due to this reason, I usually recommend against running one PSU for the MB and a second for HD's/CD's - I don't trust the outputs of the second PSU to be accurate with an unusual load like that on it.

If you can get this all to work, I'm also interested in a copy of the schematic. I'm running a 300W + a 250W right now, but I've balanced them with everything that requires an accurate voltage (MB + HD's + CD/DVD) on the 300, and everything that could care less (fans, lights, etc.) on the 250.
Cova is offline   Reply With Quote