View Single Post
Unread 07-22-2005, 11:12 AM   #13
ljohn787
Cooling Neophyte

As I said, I'm totally new to this. I don't plan on being an engineer.. I hate math and science. I have a basic understanding of physics, but hardly anything thermal related.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the heat dissipate fairly evenly throughout the copper block? Using this logic, I was trying to have as much surface area as possible for the water to cool down. The machine actually finished cutting the aluminum test block, so I will post pictures of that later. I'm also modifying the new design to replace the straight fins with wavy ones in the middle.

As for feed rates and machining in general, I'm fairly clueless. I've been working here for around 2 months now and am trying to learn how to properly cut into aluminum without breaking the tool. Just as a side note, we do injection molding here and were cutting the cavity part of the mold for a "Revlon" display. I came this morning and one of the machinists told me that 3 tools broke. Once the biggest tool breaks, the rest are doomed.

I don't even know where I was going with that, but thought it might be interesting, lol. Are you basically saying that I can plunge the Z as fast as I move it across the X and Y axes? I recall my father telling me to plunge slowly, and then move about laterally at a normal feed rate.

I greatly appreciate you guys taking your time out to help a newb like me out. As I said in my first post, I tried to implement Jaydee's lumpy channel design for the top and bottom parts of the first design. However, if the heat really doesn't spread out from the center of the die, then I will definitely just crap both designs and create something with only a center channel. It'd be cool if there was an image showing the heat spectrum throughout a block.
ljohn787 is offline   Reply With Quote