View Single Post
Unread 05-17-2004, 10:28 PM   #25
Althornin
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronchev
the whole point of watercooling is to attempt to keep your temps as low as possible, right? well what WC excels at is keeping your temps THE SAME no matter what. thats why us OCers like it, because aircooling solutions might have the same or lower idle temps, but throw some heat at them and they start to not be as effective. my idle temps are about 2C lower than my full load. taking my 600 mhz overclock off and the temps drop 1C, if at all. compare that to when we put my old chip that I'm talking about into my friends computer (exact same case, Lian Li PC601, same fan setup) with a Zalman 7000 Cu (best aircooler out there), his idle-underclocked temps were the same, but once we OC'd and loaded it he was a good 10-12C higher than I was/am.
BS.
A block has a C/W. This does not change if the processor is at idle putting out 20 watts, or at load putting out 80.

As for your temp story - if you knew anything, you'd know that comparing temps across different mobos is worthless, as well as knowing that comparing WC and air temps is worthless (lack of air movement around the socket with WC), as well as knowing that idle-->load gains you more than 2 degrees. If you honestly believe your proc only got 2 degrees hotter, i have a bridge to sell you...
Althornin is offline   Reply With Quote