View Single Post
Unread 01-26-2004, 12:55 PM   #67
jawzzz
Cooling Neophyte

Default Follow: Successful Snap 4000 Upgrade 4x120GB

Well, I just wanted to followup and pass on my experience successfuly upgrading a SNAP 4000 server. I had nothing but problems with the first Western Digital EIDE drives I tried. I RMA'd them back to the vendor in exchange for 120GB IDE (non-EIDE) Seagate drives (model# ST3120022A). I installed all four drives in Cable Select mode and to my suprise and relief the were immediatly recognized and formated.

There were no problems with the OS or any data on the HDD's. The OS on the 4000's seem to be completely in ROM, and I've got tape backups (and my old drives) to restore my data from.

Total cost to upgrade from 120GB to 480GB: $432. I'd say it's worth it.

Good luck to all of you.

Jawzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawzzz
Greetings all,

This is my first time posting here, but I've been reading the forum for a little while now. Thanks for all the info already posted.

I'm having a problem trying to upgrade my SNAP 4000 (SNAP OS: 3.4.803 (US) with 4 x 120GB WD1200's. Interestingly enough, Either of the two channels function perfectly well with two of the drives by them. That is to say that I can successfuly get the Primary IDE channel to detect both 120GB drives and I can get the secondary IDE channel to detect the two 120GB drives, but as soon as I have all four drives plugged into two channels, the SNAP server doesn't detect any of the drives. Could this be an addressing issue?

I've tried all the alternate jumper settings for both CS as well as Master/Slave with no luck. If anyone has run into this scenario, and found a work a round I'd be really eager to hear it.

Thanks in advance.
jawzzz is offline   Reply With Quote