View Single Post
Unread 03-15-2004, 02:51 AM   #74
deadsenator
Cooling Neophyte

Default Snap server 2000 repair notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by abombss
What is the max size hd that a snap server can handle? Are there any bios upgrades to get around this limitation?
I must admit that I'm just now looking at drives over 120GB to purchase and own none at the moment. I would think that Quantum will never supply us with a bios upgrade to handle larger drives. That's not what they would like for us to do. Instead, were supposed to buy their next over priced and under engineered product.

As far as the Snap 2000 goes, I think the 120's are all that you want to do. The temperatures inside get way too hot with the faster and larger drives. I just completed repairs on my 240GB Snap 2000 because someone put two 7200RPM 120GB drives in and cooked the CPU fan AND the disk that was positioned immediately over it in a short period of time. If I had known what was going on, I'd have done something before I lost 200GB of data in a (default) RAID 0 configuration. Do not save data in this fashion if you value it. Make backups. Thankfully, (and fortuitously) I've recovered most of it. There is also some suspicion that the RAID 0 configuration does not give better performance in this device. Use the QDL option instead and adjust memory/buffers.

I struggled for a while to re-invigorate the dead disk, but no amount of trips to the freezer would make it spin again. I found a new WD 120GB for $60, plopped it in and read web pages like these to learn about this device. Everyone talked about upgrading these things, but not about repairing them. Ergo why I've posted this drivel. The new disk came up fine, but the logs constantly complained about the old disk. It kept seeing the old 240GB 'drive' and it's shares from the earlier RAID 0 and consequently would not allow for the creation of anything until that was resolved. The 'configure disks' menu pick led to a error message that ended with a vapid suggestion to contact technical support. It seems that all the documentation brings that one up a lot. I will not go quietly into that good night. I've found the meat of the information here. Another good reason to contribute. So others can see and read another variation.

I finally understood that I simply had to wipe the older healthy drive from the old configuration. I had initially been afraid to do this for fear of losing O/S data. Fear not, it's all in flash. I then used a wipe program to erase the disk and simply reattached it. Voila! The old 240GB disk was gone and the disk was now free to join the newly installed one in a proper RAID 1 configuration. I use this at home for live backup storage.

It is worth noting that a heavier or beefier CPU fan needs to be mounted before installing a 7200RPM disk. Unfortunately, there is precious little clearance for this. The cooler 5400RPM disk are much better suited in this application. If you can mod the case with an extra fan that would be even better. I replaced my CPU fan with one off a P-II 300. A bit fatter, but functional.

In my reading, discovering the debug prompt was the greatest boon (http://192.168.0.x/config/debug - replace x with your correct #). I'd really love to discover the telnet switch. This article was great:

http://www.procooling.com/articles/h..._joe___10_.php

You may email me if you think I can help or if you want to send me v4 of the SnapOS. ;~P Thanks to all the others for their insightful posts and for Google for steering me here. Now, if we could just fit it with a gigabit interface...

DS
deadsenator is offline   Reply With Quote