View Single Post
Unread 04-16-2004, 02:57 PM   #80
otoc
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bqute2004
Here some info which might interest you. There is a drive limitation on all OS which are = or smaller the OS3.4.803. to a Ca 120 GB. OS 4 will increase this limit but apparently not on older servers. You need to have a new bois version. I'm not sure if you can flash it but if not you are stuck to your currant limitation. I'm still in the process to research the issue but will keep you posted once I have more info.

Ps. As far as I know old model like the 2000 and 4000 are not supported anymore so no joy on this end.
I've never seen a bios posted on the support site. I'm running six 2000's (all hardware version 2's--different than the article Joe posted) which have 2 different bios versions all told. Come to think about it, I've never found a way to do a file dump of the bios either.

Thanks for the info, give a yell if you find something.

Here's what I've found.

A 2000 can be told it's a 4000(for raid 5 with 4 drives) just as this thread mentions the 1000 to 2000 upgrade. The internal powersupply, while piddling, seems to run the four 7200rpm maxtors I've been testing with just fine. The HWrev2 2000's use pc100 dimms which show a speed improvement (slight) when upgraded to 256MB from the stock 64MB when benching file copies.

Pretty neat, it doesn't all fit in the case (next project before I electrocute the family cat), but it works. It's not a speed demon, for these things never showed anything but a speed downgrade when using any of the raid features over jbod, but it makes for a cheap and safe stand alone file server running raid 5.

Another experience I've had is no problems running 7200rpm maxtors in the standard 2 drive snap2000 housing from heat related issues. Just have to blow out the cpu fan every now and then as it gets pretty gummed up. hmmm. water cooling on a snap?

Now if we can find a way to get these out of pio mode through the old changes made to freebsd, we be screaming.
otoc is offline   Reply With Quote