View Single Post
Unread 08-18-2004, 12:08 AM   #171
stty0
Cooling Neophyte

For what its worth, if you are trying to insert a new drive and have it mirrored, it would go on a different IDE channel. I.E. drive 1 is master on one IDEchannel1, then drive 2 is installed as master one IDEchannel2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poogles_uk
For my snap server 2200 160gb, i believe that the os is mirrored on both hard drives, i have read this somewhere, but dont know where, so i will have to dig this out. However, the os may still be on the motherboard, as a download of SnapOS v4 is 50mb, so that would be a big flash chip. However on this newer board, there are 2 ide slots, rather than the one. One of my hard drives have failed on it, so do you think i can connect the working one to the mobo, to channel 1, and a new identical to channel 2? And have the drive upload the data. My other suggestion is, that if the Os is on the HD, if you put it into a normal pc, and use drive image or partition magic to duplicate the hd (this may work to a much larger drive) you can get round this. Also the new snap os v4 gives the full capability of a ftp server!

I have taken a picture of the original board from when the snap server was bought, 5 capacitors have been burnt out, and it doesn't work. This board was a replacement for the original that was supplied, as supposedly Snap Appliance had found a problem with the original board (i think a bad batch), and a free replacement was issued. The only noticable differences were that the replacement (pictured) had a rev A 70700221-001 chip, and had NEC memory modules instead of samsung i believe. The original had copyright of 2001 Snap Appliance, Inc, and the replacement had 2001 Quantum Corporation. There is a chip with the AMD logo on it, however im sure i read it somewhere it was mirrored on both of the hard drives. This version seems like a much simplified version of yours, with an external PSU, rather than the internal yours has, but yours was a 1100? The file system of the 2200 is XFS (this info came from Snap Appliance tech. support).

I have managed to order a replacement board from snap appliance for 150$, which seems cheap when they are over $1000 for the 320gb and even more for the 500gb. I can take a picture of that when it arrives, if you would like. I assume this board would be for the 500 and 320 and therefore highly upgradable.

If it has 2 ide channels rather than one, would i still need to put them both on the same channel to get it to be formatted?
stty0 is offline   Reply With Quote