View Single Post
Unread 05-05-2010, 02:04 AM   #12
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Default Re: Large >1TB drives in GOS unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryC View Post
Well I guess the measurement of being a pro is not using WD drives the real experts depend on single user reports on Egghead etc
You are twisting my words. I did not say anything about using WD or Not was a defininition of a Pro. Nor did I say you were or were not one. You are just being a jerk. Now with that said.

I define a Pro as a person who do something for a living, with formal training in that field, and some minimum amount of experience in that field.

I myself am an Engineering Technician (hardware, and R&D) for both analog and digital computers and systems from component level to mainframes. I have more formal education in my field than most Doctors do in theirs. I also have 30+ years real world experience. I would have to say that qualifies me as a Pro in this catagory.

I do not know "willPower", but I do know a professional when I hear one.

David (blue68f100) is no rookie either.

NONE OF THAT means you or anyone else is or is not a pro. But, what I said was, "if you dont want to listen to the Pros", which was a ref to the comments made by the Pros I just listed and you appeared not to want to listen to. Thus, my statement was correct.

Why is this important? Because other pros, hobbiests, and even basic home users come here for accurate information and when possible professional opinions. You gave yours, which we did not agree with, but you have a right to. However, I publicly disagreed with you and gave you 1 of many examples as to why, which I have a right to. Further, I qualified the opinions of those to whom I agreed, thus allowing others to decide for themselves how to weight the opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryC View Post
I realize Im a newbie as I have only been in the business since 1965 and ran several hardware level 3 support centers for IBM before I retired
Okay, so you are a pro also, or at least were at some point. Never said you weren't. But I suggest mabye you are a little bit of a WD fanboy or maybe are a bit out of date. Things do change, as you should know. In any case, that does not change those I mentioned being pros also, who disagree.

While I am at it real pros rely on MANY sources for their information, not just a few. I can cite very numerous example on which my opinion was based. Again, as I already said before, this is a KNOWN PROBLEM with the newer WD drives within the industry.

It so happens, for the record, I like WD drives. They have a good reputation for reliability and so forth. I quite often select WD drives when I am able for an application. However, RAID arrays is NOT one of them, and for reasons some of which I gave.

I also know some people in the industry become fanboys of certain devices over the years and end up putting blinders on due to this.

For RAID arrays, I "was" using Seagate drives as the choice for that application. Recently, this may have to change. They are having reliability problems IMO with the 1TB thru 2TB drives. I am currently evaluating a lot of information to find a good choice in the SATA 1TB to 2TB drives for use in RAID arrays. WD has already been eliminated in this catagory due to their overall unreliability for use in RAID arrays as of current. As always, things change, but as of right now, and for the last year or more, that is what it is.

IMO
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote