View Single Post
Unread 04-06-2006, 08:42 AM   #1
XyBeRWaReZ
Cooling Neophyte

How To Revese Fan Flow?

Does anyone out there know how to reverse the direction of air flow on a 120MM case fan?

I have the Evercool AL12025 120MM case fan and want to reverse it's direction of air flow.

If you take a look at the pictures included, you can see that this fan has a very nice all aluminum color side and the other side with the fan motor has a really ugly white bracket blocking the view. Unfortuantely the all aluminum side is the side that pulls the air through to the ugly white bracket motor mount side.

I have a radioactive fan grill that is all polished aluminum and if I put it on the white bracket side, it looks really ugly as the bracket can easily be seen through. So I want to put it on the all aluminum fan side.

Some may suggest that I just flip the fan over, but I've read that the most efficient way to cool water passing through a heater core is to have the air pulled through it.

Hence this is the reason why I was wondering if anyone had done such a mod and if it's possible.

I have a couple of solutions but not sure if it would work.

1. Find a 120mm fan that does exactly what I'm looking for and rip out the fan along with the mount and try to modify it so it will fit the aluminum bracket for the AL12025
2. Reverse the wires so that the air flow would be reversed. The only thing about this, if it's possible, is that the fan blades are designed to efficiently blow air in a certain direction. So if I were able to reverse it, wouldn't I lose some airflow and air pressure? If so then how much?
3. If it came down to it and the first two solutions don't work, mount the fans in a push-pull configuration. So in total I would have 4-120MM fans working. I understand that this would help in the cooling efficiency of the setup, so this wouldn't be a bad solution. But...that means I would have two additonal fans on the other side of the heater core, making it much higher. I plan to use a shroud for the highest efficiency possible, so that makes it even higher!

Also I have a question regarding the 3rd scenario. What happens if I don't use the exact same fan on the other side of the radiators? Will the difference in CFM, RPM, and Air Pressure affect the setup in any way? I'm pretty sure it will and I'm assuming that it wouldn't be good if it wasn't matched up as close as possible.

If anyone has any suggestions that could help me out, I would GREATLY appreciate it. I'm pretty sure that anyone who has purchased this fan would probably like to know the same thing, or just eventually settled with the fact and just stuck it out with the ugly side facing up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg al12025_front.jpg (29.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg fans_mounted.jpg (60.1 KB, 32 views)
XyBeRWaReZ is offline   Reply With Quote