View Single Post
Unread 12-29-2005, 03:45 AM   #22
Les
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Die Simulator vs. CPU Article Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brians256
Les, thanks for running the numbers to show how a centered power source distributes heat across a 101mm^2 silicon die (I hope I'm reading your graphs correctly).
No, you are not understanding correctly.The graphs are illustrative statements of the problem. The graphs are "suggested heat sources" not the distribution.

Quote:
I'm not sure how they can help, though. We don't have a case of even a single hot spot. A P4 die has several potential hot spots that shift as the instruction mix changes.
Two illustrative HotSpots on the "pkg-face" of the same die are shown (link)
Helps because a statement of the problem is essential to getting a solution.The distribution is part of the solution. The solution is being investigated, starting with an even simpler case than previously illustrated - Uniform Central HotSpot on square 0.5mm thick slice of Si(attachment)

Quote:
Would a waterblock do significantly better if it was designed to focus on known hotspots of a particular CPU? Better, meaning better overclock or increased stability (e.g. better stability despite equal or worse/higher temperatures measured at some arbitrary location like the P4 diode)?
Dunno, but AMD engineers are giving due consideration("Beware of Hot Spots" Marci's link)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sim4.jpg (33.6 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Les; 12-29-2005 at 04:06 AM.
Les is offline   Reply With Quote