View Single Post
Unread 12-16-2002, 11:43 AM   #9
Mr. Baz
Cooling Neophyte

Originally posted by bigben2k
First off, the caps are because Bowman types from work (sometimes) from a caps locked keyboard; no insult intended.

2: R134a is not compatible (oil wise) with R12/R22, and in fact, if you mix both oils, you may create an acid. R134a is a good option (although not as good as R22), but as Bowman stated, it will require "most excellent" cleaning, for the reason above. It is usually best to start from scratch, instead of switching from R22 to R134A. (Google for horror stories)
You mix the oils and you get a wax. Mix POE with water and you get the acid that will eat the motor windings of your compressor.

3: license: you can order one online, but it'll only give you access to some refrigerants (see |Punisher|'s thread).
It's better to go through your local city/state office. Some online licenses won't be valid in all areas.

4: Bowman is our most respected phase-change member, and he has more experience with it, and has achieved colder temperatures than anyone else you'll find (LN2 excluded).
LN2 is lower than -120*F....I don't think he's gone that cold with refrigerant. I've seen other DIY units that have colder load temps...but that doesn't matter. I still like Bowman and he does good work.

5: an A/C tech can't know everything about everything, simply because they will usually end up working with only one or two refrigerants. If you want an engineer, google. A tech will however be able to tell you the do's and don'ts of a particular setup, as far as the refrigerant is concerned.
I spoke with a tech at A/C engineers ( a local a/c place) and he was baffled by the work I had done on my unit. They know a lot, but in a different area.

Aenigma/Mr Baz: if you were really concerned, you would have stated why R134A is not a good substitute for R12/R22. Also, flushing the compressor is NOT a proper way to clean out an R12/R22 system for an R134A upgrade. Also, you failed to mention that R290 is propane, and that it's best to use it in combination with something else, like R134A, especially for someone starting to experiment.
It was already stated that R134 doesn't work as good as R290 or R22, so no need to reiterate it. They make flushing kits to change oils in compressors, so it is perfectly possible and has been done before.
R290 can be used by itself. You don't need to mix it with anything.
Mr. Baz is offline   Reply With Quote