View Single Post
Unread 05-08-2003, 12:38 AM   #148
Yo-DUH_87
Cooling Savant

First of all, I want to apolagize for being away. I had been hoping that the article would get published a while before I left, so that I could answer questions. I did have a productive trip, but I am totaly zoned at the moment (due to the lack of sleep that usualy accompanys traveling), so I may not make total sense

The diode in the mosfet is not a zener, it is a body diode. Yes, it theroticaly causes leakage in reverse, but as my circuit was intended for both PSUs to be on at the same time, not what ben is doing, while assisting ben I totaly overlooked the body diode. Thanks for pointing that out.

I may fire up the prototype circuit that I built to get some real-world results. If I remember correctly, durring testing and actual usage, I could turn one PSU off, and leave the other on, no problem. I don't recall reading any back-voltage, but it was awhile ago (about 2 months now), so we'll see.

When I was assisting ben with the design, I did look at the mosfet drivers specs. It is rated for 250 microamps, the mosfet power drain is around 9 nanoamps. That should allow sufficent head-room. Those are prety powerful drivers there. The drivers I used I believe had a current of around 10 microamps (again, check me on that), and put out about a volt over typical.

Ben, I asked my father about a solution to your problem. You had something with your reversed mosfet idea, and he suggested a solution. I'm going to do the testing first, though.

Since87, are you and BillA related in any way

If it works, fix it until it's broke!
Then, after it's broke, add duct tape!

Affordable webhosting!
Yo-DUH_87 is offline   Reply With Quote