View Single Post
Unread 05-08-2003, 12:01 PM   #149
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Yo-DUH_87

The diode in the mosfet is not a zener, it is a body diode.
Hey, hey, hey. That's getting extremely picky. Uh, err.... nevermind.

You're right, I was speaking sloppily in calling it a zener. The fact is though, that for practical purposes, it can generally be treated as a zener. That is the reason the symbol for a zener diode is shown within the MOSFET schematic symbol.

Quote:
[b]
When I was assisting ben with the design, I did look at the mosfet drivers specs. It is rated for 250 microamps, the mosfet power drain is around 9 nanoamps. That should allow sufficent head-room. Those are prety powerful drivers there. The drivers I used I believe had a current of around 10 microamps (again, check me on that), and put out about a volt over typical.
The output current of the driver is not much of an issue for steady state operation. (It's a big issue at the time of switching.) Assuming the load can tolerate a slowly rising rail at powerup, the main issue is the output voltage.

Designing around the performance of particular parts on hand is fine if you are just building a one-up version of something for yourself. If there is any possibility that you might promote the design to others, it would be a good idea to design according to the worst case specs provided by the manufacturer. The LTC1163 is totally inadequate for designing a circuit for switching 12V. That's not what it is designed for. The fact that a person may get it to work, definitely does not mean another person can expect to get the same results.

Quote:

Since87, are you and BillA related in any way
I don't know, but I suspect Bill may also be a member of the brotherhood of Men United in Chastising Otherwise Unchecked Stupidity. Pteww. (Spit when you say that.)

Doesn't really count? Well then if you go back about 100,000 years...
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote