View Single Post
Unread 07-26-2007, 06:33 PM   #10
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Default Re: Hacked my hacked 2000>4000:fixed with question

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100

There are 2 4000 motherboards. 1 is the same used in a 2000, the other has a different PN.

As long as you test by failing drives. Power cycles while drive is failed, do not skip the one. Verify that it has reported the HD failure, and is running in degraded mode. If it will go into panic mode it did not like it.

These units DO NOT SUPPORT HOT SWAPING, so you must power down to replace the drive.

Phoenix is our resident hardware man. He did extensive testing in this area. What ever he says goes. So if you have something that is different you may not have found where it had the problem. He did not just fail a singel drive he tested by failing ALL, one at a time. Yes very time consuming, due to re-sync's. But it is the only proper way to test. Because he did discover if you failed some drives every thing worked, till you failed 1 specific position.

Maxtor were the drives that had EIDE problems. But who would want to use a HD's that has the highest failure rate in the industry for critical data.

Correct, with one exception. The drives I had EIDE issues with were the Seagates. I did not use any Maxtors for the testing at all. The Seagate drives, at least the models I was using, had drive interface issues with C/S and proper adjustment to the controller.

Before someone says it is just the controller. NO! I have had this same issue with Seagates on a Motherboard with an Intel i875 chipset and updated BIOS etc in C/S. When running various utilities, they like to lock up, throw errors, and cause random problems (they are flakey at best).

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

Drives from 250GB to 2TB (PATA, SATA, and SAS)

GOS v5.2.067

All subject to change, day by day......
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote