View Single Post
Unread 02-03-2003, 05:01 PM   #41
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by nicozeg
The sharpest turn is at the beginning of the channel, close to the core; where it has a useful side effect: Centrifugal force brings the flow close to the wall, reducing the boundary layer.
But the opposite is also true: you'll increase the boundary layer on the other side of the channel. Effect cancelled.

Also, in centrifugal flow, the heavier water molecules, which are colder, will be pushed to the outside. That's good if that's where your hot spot is, but that's not the case here: it's on both sides.

I will maintain that the circular motion only does one thing: add to the flow restriction. Further, because your channels are longer, you're adding more flow restriction.

In Radius, the flow restriction is progressively lowered by channel splitting, for an overall minimized impact, so that the flow can reach its highest velocity within the critical area, and within an area that is not too big for the pump to handle (which I have yet to demonstrate, I know...).

Anytime the water has to turn, it's restricted.

I can't find it, but someone mentionned something about capillary channels: as myv65 pointed out, in flow restriction, there comes a point where the channel is so narrow, that the height doesn't matter, the restriction is the same.

You should make that central post a pin, otherwise the incoming coolant will spray all around it, ignoring the pin's hot base.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote