View Single Post
Unread 03-27-2003, 04:01 AM   #51
MadDogMe
Thermophile

Quote:
I don't understand why people think that a thicker base will spread the heat quicker. This is backwards. A thinner base will spread out heat faster than a thicker base.
Sorry I was labouring under the impression that lateral heat spread is improved with a thicker(than 1mm) base, I thought it'd allow more heat 'units' to move quicker(sideways!) to a larger surface area(wider channel) allowing more convection area, allowing a lower C/W. funnily enough I seem to remember reading this off one of Les's charts :shrug: , but anyway my post was'nt to make a statement for or against (sorry if I did) but more to say experiment!. With a 3mm BP you could cross cut it with a juinor hacksaw and have fins or pins inside the block 1.5mm deep...

Quote:
In any case, moving heat through copper is exactly what I *don't* want. I want to move the heat to the water.
Picked a bad medium for a block then did'nt you? ...

The scores were to be as deep as you can make them(0.5mm?,1mm?. It's something I keep meaning to look into) to act as surface area channels(like I said I like your block but think it could 'always' do with more surface area), not just scratches to cause turbulance...

I'd like to see a centre inlet design if you could bend your head around mounting it?...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote