View Single Post
Unread 03-30-2003, 07:04 PM   #73
Graystar

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulp35
c/w is = (Tcpu-Tambient)/W

Hope this helps.

BB2k I got a C/W of .29 also, which for a watercooling system is not too good (I got .16 with my alpha 8045 on a o/c'd 1.4Ghz Tbird) though a pump upgrade should fix that .
This is the guiding document on C/W by Bill A:

http://www.overclockers.com/articles654/index02.asp

C/W of the system = (Die - ambient) / CPU power(watts)
C/W of the block = (Die - water inlet temp) / CPU power(watts)

I switched my routing so that the water went from the reservior to the CPU. That way, I can measure the inlet temp. Here are the latest temps from this configuration:

Ambient - 22.0C
Water inlet - 28.4C
Die temp - 40C
Load - 67.9W (my machine folds 24x7. And I'll leave out the 7W from my submersed pump.)

C/W of the system = (40-22)/67.9 = .265
C/W of the block = (40-28.4)/67.9 = .171

My system sucks. However, that was established already as we know I'm using the Ahanix Iceberg1 WC kit. I simply replaced the kit WB with my WB.

My block, however, seems to be doing great.

But, I could have misinterpreted something. Anyone see any mistakes?

BTW, it would appear that my system is working a little better with the flow going from rad to res/pump to block. Indeed, I have gained another 1C over the air-cooled processor. However, last time I tested this the temp went up by 1C.

I think the real reason is that my WB twisted around on the die while I was switching the hose.

In the machining world, very precise blocks called gauge blocks are assembled to give a precise height for machine work. The blocks are so precise that air trapped between the blocks will throw off the measurement. As such, there is a technique of assembling gauge blocks where you twist the blocks together and squeeze the air out. You know you've got it when air pressure holds the blocks together.

I think something like this happened when my block was twisted. Either air was expelled or the TIM was thinned. In any case, that's what I attribute the slightly better performance of the system to.

Last edited by Graystar; 03-30-2003 at 07:12 PM.
Graystar is offline   Reply With Quote