View Single Post
Unread 12-20-2006, 05:26 PM   #20
charlie b
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Cutting Oil as a coolant

Right then, I have been a precision engineer for 12 years and have worked with all kinds of oil/water emulsions.Heres are some points you should consider:-

1: All modern synthetic coolants do degrade no matter who you buy it from or how much bull the salesman tells you.

2: The concentration of these emulsions is usually between 4 and 8% for which you will need a refractometer to measure.

3: The pH value of these emulsions is dependant on their concentration, usual pH values for modern emulsions are around pH 9 .

4: These emulsions are near perfect for bacterial growth, modern emulsion manufacturers add bacteria to these emulsions to prevent nasty bacteria growing in its place. This is why the concentration, pH must be kept optimal.

5: Another factor is that the emulsion can split into water and oil again, usual if left stood for a long time or if the concentrations and pH are not correct.

6: Also these emulsions may dissolve plastics (all rubber based materials) for example you rig has been running fine for a while, the hose is perished, and leaks. Not good.

7: Discolouration of coolant is usually due to chemicals leaching from plastics/metals.

8: Foaming is an issue with coolant, you can buy anti foaming additives to control this.

9: Concentration pH values should be checked weekly and altered accordingly to maintain the nice bacterial culture. coolant should be changed every three months,washing all parts, rinsing with biocide to kill evrything, leaving to dry properly and then replacing coolant mixture.

Now then I'm not trying to put you off using these emulsions , it is a good idea, but you must be prepared for the amount of attention these emulsions need to prevent/(slow down) their degradation. The chemicals in these emulsions are carsenegenic and ecologically unsound and must be disposed of properly they are poisonous to all aquatic life.

I hope this reply is helpful to you and has information that you were unsure about.
Good luck with this I too have considered it and decided against it for the reasons above, but i would be interested in seeing the results of heat transfer coefficients relative to a conventional water/glycol setup.

cheers chris.

Oh and the best manufacturer i have come across is (Rocol synthetic cutting fluid.)

Good luck m8
charlie b is offline   Reply With Quote