View Single Post
Unread 11-17-2002, 07:12 PM   #293
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Some minor progress:

Since the 3/16 nozzle has been questioned, I capped my pump after I drilled a 3/16 hole in the cap.

Expecting about 45 fps, I estimated that it would shoot straight up about 22 feet (gravity being 9.8 m/s^2).

It came to 11 feet. Wondering, I remembered that I used 3 feet of 1/2 inch tubing for the test, which at that kind of flow rate, is awfully restrictive. I'll have to re-run this test with 3/4.

Airtrap works well, with 3/4 barbs. There's still an air leak in the system (from the pump area), and I think it's from the ball valve, attached to the inlet with a tee. I'll have to re-run the test without the valve.

I'm testing with distilled water (58 cents/gallon at Wall-Mart), because I got tired of the white residue over everything. Why does distilled water stink?

[edit]
No progress on the nozzle. Sticking to a copper top was much simpler. Trying to stay optimistic, as I enter the "20" phase in the 80/20 aspect of the project (80% of the work in 20% of the time, and 20% of work taking up 80% of the time).

Fixittt: I need to know if you're equipped to tap a hole/thread to NPT specs, 3/4, and of course if you could put a similar thread on a polycarbonate cylinder, 1/2 inch high, 1/2 or 3/4 inch diameter.

Last edited by bigben2k; 11-17-2002 at 07:29 PM.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote