View Single Post
Unread 04-08-2003, 12:16 AM   #1
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

Default Redline (and PurpleIce) test results.. over a year later

Jan 19 , 2002 i decided to test the corrosion abilities of Redline and PurpleIce
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...le+ice+redline

but to save you the long read.. (however if you DO have questions.. read the above thread first.. as almost all have been asked there)

I created Full strength (4oz to 1 gallon water) half strength (2oz to 1 gallon) mixtures of each. I also threw in distilled water.. and a few days after i started the test i added in a standard tap water sample...

each sample is a cup of the sollution, with a piece of copper pipe and piece of aluminum pipe. then sealed with plasticwrap and a rubber band. yes not the perfect test atmosphere.. but it did the job.

Results after a few days: redline and waterwetter created an anodized-like coating on the aluminum.. protecting it from corrosion. Tap water will soon start showing corrosion.

2 months : The distilled started showing signs of corrosion. Purple Ice had a settling of a white powdery substance (probably wouldnt happen in a system with movement).. but no corrosion.

OVER 1 YEAR LATER:

Redline shows no corrosion in either mixtures

PurpleIce shows no corrosion in either mixtures.. but the color has gone, and the white powder has settled.

Distilled water has lots of corrosion and oxidation.

Tap water is just nasty.

now you will notice that the water level has dropped about 50%.. but i think overall we see that Redline can holdup for a good year without needing mainenence.. and yes not many use aluminum/copper.. but this was a stress test on the additive.. but factors such as using silicone tubing that absorbs the additives.. etc.. may vary your miledge, and also remember the BLACK ALUMINUM is the protective coating created by the additive... ITS GOOD.

the final pic.. over a year later:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled-1 copy.jpg (68.7 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by DigitalChaos; 04-08-2003 at 06:50 AM.
DigitalChaos is offline   Reply With Quote