View Single Post
Unread 10-14-2002, 07:31 PM   #12
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by myv65
I've never met a cutting tool that had a perfectly sharp corner. Even if not intended, I'll guarantee that there is some finite radius at the base of Cathar's fins (and that it is beneficial, albeit perhaps a minor affect).

The only way to really avoid one is to bond pre-cut fins to the base with solder, braze, whatever. Even then you'll still get a radius, however, simply due to the surface tension of whatever you use to bond.

I only brought it up because it looks like you've intentionally got a lot of white space over the die. Perhaps it's merely an optical illusion. Perhaps it's real and a requirement for having enough cross area for flow. I don't know for certain.

Also worth noting that the AMD die isn't centered over the four bolt holes. If you managed to survive the entirety of Cathar's thread at OCAU, you probably already know this.
I haven't quite survived that thread yet! LOL! I'm still trying to follow what BillA instructed me to do: "Dig Deeper". The AMD die is 0.5 mm off-center, but that's OK, I'm not worried about it, at all!

I agree, there must be some kind of curve to the bottom of Cathar's channels. Good point.

I'd very much like to go around cutting this thing into shape, but I'm not confident that soldering will give me the thermal bond that's needed. As for brazing, again, the parts are so small, and if you look at the pattern, all but 4 of the fins are attached to each other. Lots of small parts!

Right now, I'm looking at this:
1-The cutting disk, attached to a rod, that I can press down to a set depth (Z axis).

2-A table, that I can rotate completely, in 1/128 steps.

3-A motor drive for the cutting tool.

4-A way to shift the cutting tool, in 0.1 mm steps, from side to side (X axis). A free-hand motion on the Y axis.

5-A lubricant pump, and some kind of cover.

In short: I'm looking into custom tools, for a custom block!

The diameter of the cutting disc is going to be critical: if it's too large, then I'll be cross-cutting into other channels.

The only positive news is that the rest of the channel (outside of the fin area) can simply be "turned" out, leaving a cylinder in the middle for me to cut up!
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote