View Single Post
Unread 10-14-2002, 09:03 PM   #14
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

1-Yes, I've given up on the swirl idea. It was bad. I realize that now!

2-In similar fashion to Cathar (which to credit, inspired most of this design), the top plate will compensate for the lack of stifness of the baseplate. I originally didn't plan on having a disc in there at all, but it seems to be required, in order to force the water through the fins, and since it's also a structural item, it will be quite thick (6mm?). I plan on using 8 bolts to secure it, if I don't braze this top on!

I'm open to ideas. Like I said, I have a problem in making this block, where I can't create it "as drawn".

Actyally, my fin density is higher. I know it's hard to tell! Cathar uses a 1mm channel, with a 1 mm (wide) fin. I'm using a 0.6 mm channel, and a 0.9 mm fin. If I drew the fins to full extension, it would be more obvious. The way that they're drawn now, I'm only showing where the fins have a full 0.9 mm thickness. They actually taper down to 0.0 mm, leaving a 0.6mm (to 1.2 mm) channel everywhere.

Cathar didn't have it EDM'd: he had it machined. He did say that if he wanted to go to 0.9mm wide fin and 0.6mm channel, he would have to go the EDM route.

I'm not concerned with mounting right now: it's a minor issue. The top can simply have extending tabs, with holes for a bolt mount. Optionally, I could try to reproduce the Innovatech mount. If you have ideas, please post them. I don't mind PMs, either way.

If you are offering CAD services, I'll take you up on it. PM me, and I'll send you the measurements.

FYI, I'm still guesstimating, but a 3/8 nozzle might be best. More number crunching to do!

I also need to try to figure out how to evaluate this beast's theoretical performance. Since the fin pattern is radial, it throws out a lot of standard tools and calculators!

Last edited by bigben2k; 10-14-2002 at 09:44 PM.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote