View Single Post
Unread 10-24-2002, 12:22 PM   #145
myv65
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k
With methanol, an o-ring doesn't work as well, because the liquid is so thin, that it will easily bypass the o-ring.

unless myv65 can point us to a mechanical link, and I can calculate that the plexi/acrylic top is viable, it's gonna have to be copper
On the first point, not really. I'd be more concerned that you choose a material that's compatible with methanol. It's pretty easy to develop 10 psig compression on the o-ring (or a heckuva lot more). Doesn't much matter what the viscosity is provided you have good surface finish, a compliant o-ring, and sufficient pressure.

On the second point, I always go to Rourk's Formulas for Stress and Strain, by Warren C. Young. I've got a copy of the sixth edition. Not sure what edition is current. Be warned, however, that it darn near takes a full ME degree to make any sense of the copious tables in this book. Also note that you need to have a basic understanding of superposition (adding up the individual load cases to arrive at your "composite" load case).
myv65 is offline   Reply With Quote