Thread: Wb Designs
View Single Post
Unread 12-02-2003, 02:36 AM   #27
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Zymrgy
ya think??? There is a world of difference between simulation and actual machining. I can easily simulate a 1mm cutter plunging 50mm deep...and things will look fine. There might be some 1mm cutters that will go as deep as what you want, but actually using them would be a nightmare....even on a CNC with a 20,000 RPM spindle. one good rule of thumb is if your endmill length is greater than 4X the diameter then you better have alot of time and tools.

$500,000 for a Haas??? Not even a new 5 axis off the showroom floor would be that much...One machine that I would love to have in my garage is a Haas mini-mill...full 3 axis with 10 station toolchanger for $30,000
I was referring to geometry only...the question was whether the clearance between the hexagonal pins was enough to allow milling...theoretically...that's how I'd understood it anyway.

I am aware that this would have been a nightmare, that's why I've described this as a "dream" design. However, I have no experience with CNC machines and I am in a process of learning CAD/CAM completely on my own...so I thank you for your remarks.

How about milling this in 2-3 passes (levels)?

I suppose that the other design with holes is machinable far easier, right?
tex707 is offline   Reply With Quote