JoshuaPurcell
Cooling Neophyte

Default External Watercooling System

This is the components of the computer I'm wanting to cool down:

-Athlon64 3400
-ASUS Radeon 9800XT
-ASUS K8V Deluxe
-3 Western Digital 10,000RPM Raptor HDDs

I want to make an external watercooling system that sits on the floor next to the computer desk (possibly in a toolbox or some other metal container), so that there doesn't need to be much modification to the actual computer. I'll get a special PCI slot connection for the tubes, or just have the two tubes run into the back of the computer case through an open slot. Attached is a diagram of the setup I'm talking about. I want to use an automobile heater core that is about as big as two 120mm fans, and that preferrably has mounting holes/brackets to make it easier to secure to the case. Here are my main questions:

1. Does anyone have some examples/links to something like this being done?

2. My flow in the diagram is:
Res->Pump->CPU->(possibly HDDs)->GPU->Rad->Res... does this need to be changed?

3.The external watercooling system will likely be on the ground, lower than the computer. Will it still be ok for the radiator to be higher in the setup than the pump? Any suggestions on a high-powered pump would be great as well.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: The diagram doesn't have the HDDs in the loop since I'm not sure if having the water flowing through three waterblocks is a good idea for keeping a high flow rate. I'm not really limited on space (as much as if all components were in the computer case), but I don't want the external unit to take up any more space than a small computer case.

Possible components:
Radiator- Hayden676 (thanks to the great Howto article on this site).
Fans- two 120mm PanaFLOs
Reservoir- Primochill Typhoon (dual bay)
Pump- open to suggestions
(any other items needed)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ews.jpg (15.9 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by JoshuaPurcell; 02-28-2004 at 02:11 PM.
JoshuaPurcell is offline   Reply With Quote